This secret outback mecca for keen fishermen and nature lovers is an oasis of luxury perched over the spectacular Crystalbrook Lake. A haven to a staggering range of wildlife including birds, freshwater crocodiles and fish, you can spend your days on the lake or riverside, exploring the bush wilderness or just enjoying the serenity and stillness of the outback in the lodge’s private manicured grounds. Enjoy elegant outdoor dining overlooking the lake with a menu featuring the best of the rich local produce of the region.
The Lodge is in remote outback bush 180km west of Cairns and is part of the 85,000 acre Crystalbrook Station. Days are typically warm with crystal clear blue skies and the evenings cool with spectacular outback sunsets fading into brilliant starry nights where the Southern Cross and the Milky Way light the sky. Fly over spectacular rugged outback for the 1-hour flight by helicopter or 40 minutes by charter flight (ex Cairns) to Crystalbrook’s own airstrip. The lodge caters to a maximum of 10 guests in 5 courtyard suites.
- Explore one of the many trails such as the Lakeside Trail Loop with our experienced guide – great for bird watching or you can take a fishing rod and throw in a line.
- Glide along the lake aboard the electric boat – perfect for fishing or wildlife watching amongst the lily pads….. get ready for a barra or one of the dozen or so native fish species in the lake. A photographer’s paradise!
- Spend an afternoon chatting over tea and scones on the verandahs of the historic Crystalbrook Homestead 20 minutes away and you’ll feel like you’re in the last century. You’ll see the prize Brangus cattle in the yards and maybe see them being rounded up.
- Take out a kayak or two and go exploring the far reaches of the lake – you might see a herd of wild brumbies or silently become part of the lake’s daily rhythm as dainty Lotus Birds walk by on Lily pads and Jabiru and other water birds go about their business.
- Hire a helicopter for the day and go river fishing for barra…. or explore some of the old deserted mining towns abandoned to the bush.
- Explore Chillagoe with our experienced guides – with some of the most diverse geology in the world, you can explore limestone caves and aboriginal rock art or have the “Best Hamburger in the World” at the Chillagoe Pub!
- Take a picnic lunch and relax fishing and swimming on the Tate River for the afternoon.
- Birdwatching from the Viewing Platform – Sea Eagles, Bee Eaters, Koel Jabiru, Blue Faced Honeyeaters, Scarlet Honeys and much more!
- Skywatching – use the telescope or binoculars, or just with the naked eye! Falling stars and the Milky Way light the sky – and you can use the theatre room to check out the night sky and zoom in on what you’re seeing!
- Best of all, relax in the Magna wet edge pool – the magnesium is the best relaxant you’ll find anywhere!
If you’re not feeling so active, just chill at the Lodge. There’s a great library with everything from novels to an eclectic range of magazines, historic books and a wide reference library on wildlife and birds. In the theatre room, we have a range of movies and documentaries you can choose from if you’ve had enough of the great outdoors!
While you’re relaxing, you can help yourself to the wide range of drinks available at the bar, or choose a herbal tea or coffee from the Nespresso range. There’s usually some delicious smells coming out of the oven heralding impending treats such as Portuguese Lemon Tarts or scones on the way!
Small Groups or extended families (up to 10) for exclusive use
Dining: Dining Options
Fresh local produce – simply and elegantly served in a spectacular settings… Outdoor dining overlooking the lake is a highlight; simply prepared and seasonally available fruit and vegetables from the Atherton Tablelands.
Help yourself to the guest bar, fully stocked with excellent wines, beers, spirits and a range of waters and non-alcoholic drinks. The guest Nespresso and Tea bar are available 24 hours a day.
Crystalbrook source where possible, local growers.
- From Mareeba fruit and vegetable growers supply mango, papaw, citrus, bananas, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, sweet potato, herbs, beef.
- Wild Barramundi comes from the Gulf of Carpentaria to our north
- The local rainforest supplies Davidson Plum and other native jams and chutneys
- Long-term local families of Italian and Spanish descent provide olives, cured meats.
- Gallo and Mungalli Dairies supply our cheeses, milk and yoghurts.
Room / Accommodation option: Courtyard Suites
5 courtyard suites each with
- King size bed (or split singles)
- Large bathroom opening onto private courtyard
- Courtyard for luxurious outdoor lounging in private
Nightly rate includes
- “Magna” magnesium wet edge pool overlooking the lake
- 5 luxury courtyard suites with Kingsize beds and each with its own private courtyard with Day Bed
- Theatre Room with full Apple TV connection for Movies, Documentaries and to view your own photos and videos
- WiFi and Internet access throughout suitable for Skype. Landline telephone available. No mobile phone coverage.
- Spacious bathrooms opening onto private courtyard with luxury toiletries and dual shower heads
- Outdoor or indoor dining options with private courtyard dining available on request.
All inclusive Tariff
- Superb dining featuring the best of locally sourced produce and boutique selection of wine and bar beverages
- Lake activities including fishing and birdwatching on the fleet of electric boats (guided or you may take a boat out on your own); kayaking; lakeside trail walks
- Experience the outback way of life with afternoon tea at Crystalbrook Station and Homestead, including seeing some of the 2,000 prize Brangus cattle.
- Day visit to Chillagoe to see limestone caves, aboriginal rock art and visit an outback pub.
- Heli fishing and heli touring, 4WD touring and fishing guide by arrangement at an extra charge.
Flight ex Cairns, self-drive or road transfer by arrangement
Nearest major city/town
Town – Cairns
- 60 minutes by Helicopter
- 45 minutes by light aircraft
- 3 hours by road
- Self-drive or boat arrivals are also permitted for those with their own vehicle