Makepeace Island is a private hideaway 2km upstream from Noosa Heads. Owned (and used) by Sir Richard Branson and Brett Godfrey, it has been created to accommodate up to 22 castaways in luxurious seclusion, with all the attractions of the Sunshine Coast just a short boat-ride away.
After alighting at the heart-shaped island’s private dock, you’ll be shown to your villa (one of only three) or the Bali House with its private facilities.
At the centre of the resort is the Long House ‘wantilan’ – a convivial open-sided structure with bar and games room, perfectly complemented by the adjacent pool and spa. A second two-storey wantilan overlooks the river: this is the place to dine, relax and socialise.
One of the island’s special attractions is the ‘aircraft carrier’ – a barge that’s specially set up for a floating dinner during one of your nights on Makepeace.
The island’s 25 acres are mostly bushland, the perfect place to stroll and discover many species of birdlife, or perhaps take out the island “tinnie” and try a spot of river fishing. You’ll also find plenty of resort attractions, including floodlit tennis court, hobie-cats, outdoor cinema and media room.
Noosa’s famous beaches, restaurants, surf school and fishing grounds are just a few minutes up-stream. The Great Barrier Reef is less than an hour away by charter flight.
All the Makepeace buildings were designed and constructed in Bali before being shipped to Australia. The furnishings, sculptures, antiques and lighting are bespoke pieces acquired throughout Indonesia.
The Sunshine Coast is north of Brisbane, known for its glorious beaches, hilly green hinterland and relaxed coastal towns. Coastal activities occupy most visitors, especially, surfing and fishing (for which the region is celebrated); the southern reaches of the Great Barrier Reef is only an hour away by seaplane.
The Island’s facilities and activities include:
- A 500,000litre lagoon pool complete with lap lane, dive spots and a 15-person spa
- The Long House, home to Makepeace’s beautiful Island Bar and games room
- The large two-storey wantilan overlooking the river is a perfect place to relax. At night, it’s the hub for indoor entertaining
- Hobie cats and kayaks are available to explore the island; for a spot of fishing, you can grab a rod and reel from the Boat House
- Try your hand at wake-boarding or skiing
- Play tennis any time on the floodlit court
- Take a picnic on the north shore, or on one of Noosa’s stunning beaches
- Stroll the island’s 25 acres, home to many species of birds
- On one your evenings, be sure to enjoy dinner and cocktails aboard the party barge affectionately known as the ‘aircraft carrier’
For additional cost, guests can
- Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef around Lady Elliot Island, just one hour away by aircraft; divers can also explore the wreck of The Severance.
- Game fishing
- Explore Noosa with its cafes, boutique shops, beaches and national park
- 4WD along the beach to Fraser Island or Tin Can Bay
- Play golf on championship golf courses
- Do a helicopter tour of the region
- Join the renowned Asian cooking school, Spirit House
- Learn to surf
- Indulge in the island’s spa services
The property is available all year round on a request basis through The Tailor
Back to top
All meals and non alcoholic beverages are included in your stay.
The Island comprises a total of 11 bedrooms for a maximum of 22 guests.
Private Villa’s: three villas, each with two bedrooms (king + two king singles), bathroom, separate lounge room, stocked bar, tea and coffee making facilities and a private deck. Air conditioning, fans and heating units are in living areas and bedrooms.
The Bali House: comprises four bedrooms each with private bathroom facilities and a deck. Two bedrooms contain queen beds, two rooms comprise twin king singles. Air conditioning and heating units are located in each bedroom.
The Boat House overlooks the river and is a small self contained queen bed studio room. It can be used for guest overflow, though depending on your requirements it may also be required for staff use.
Nearest major city/town
City – Brisbane
Town – Noosa
Scheduled or jet flight into Sunshine Coast Airport or Noosa Airport.
Vehicle transfer from Sunshine Coast Airport is 35 minutes or 10 minutes from Noosa Airport to the property. It is 1¾ hours transfer from Brisbane to Makepeace Island.
|You may also like:|
|Byron at Byron