Australia has come a long way in the world of culinary tourism – from “throwing a shrimp on the barbie”, to now offering a myriad of authentic and high quality food and beverage tours.
People want to immerse themselves in a region and meet the locals who call this place their own. And this is showcased in our travellers frequent requests to be part of Australia’s growing food culture and what makes each destination unique from a culinary perspective.
Australia wide travellers are now able to participate in a range of food tour experiences; from paddock to plate, cooking schools, meet the maker, market tours as well as indigenous hunter gather excursions all being just a few options available.
The whole country has something to offer, each region showcasing their own unique cuisine and produce that in many cases has become world renowned – or maybe it is still a hidden secret that only the locals know about.
There are too many experiences to list, but below are a taste of some of the experiences The Tailor is able to combine into a fully customised itinerary for you:
- In the Australian winter months (running approximately from June to September) you may want to join a Truffle hunt, seeking out these amazing delicacies.
- Or if seafood is your fancy, consider a Seafood Seduction – where you can taste oysters, rock lobster, abalone and even sea urchin straight from the fresh waters outside of Hobart
- Even within our urban surrounds tours are available to get a taste of the diverse range of amazing local produce on offer. Take an Adelaide Central Market Tour, or a tour of the famous Sydney Fish Markets to feel the buzz of the freshest daily produce being purchased by consumers and restaurateurs alike.
- Australia has a growing infatuation with boutique beverages, whether it be gaining a greater understanding of what makes a perfect coffee or craft beer, or you may like to go behind the scenes at one of Australia’s award winning Gin, Whisky or Rum distilleries, where you can taste, then make your own blend – with a sample to take home and enjoy of course.
- Our wineries have also embraced the culinary tourism experience ranging from vertical tastings or tastings straight from the barrel, making your own blend, or chatting to the chief winemaker amongst the vines to gain an understanding of how the wine you are tasting came to be.
- Australia boasts a range of fantastic cooking schools including the Agrarian Kitchen in Tasmania where guests are able to select the in best season produce that has been grown on site, then cook it under the watchful eye of chef, Rodney Dunn.
- Australia has also developed a reputation for delivering amazing internationally recognised culinary festival events including Tasting Australia, Dark MOFO, Margaret River Gourmet Escape just to name a few.
All in all Australia has embraced our love of fine food and The Tailor would love to share with you that same passion and authentic culinary experiences.